Saturday, March 19, 2016

Week 8 - Calgary

 
So much happened this week!!!
 
I have so many stories to tell and do not know where to start - haha. So yesterday was church and I am slowly starting to understand what every one is saying. I can understand a lot of the gospel stuff but when it comes to regular conversation I am still just lost - haha. This week I am going to start learning regular vocabulary and not just gospel vocabulary. This past week I have felt quite stressed about not understanding people and not learning it fast enough but over the past couple of days I have been really praying for peace and comfort and for the gift of tongues and for it to slowly but surely come. I think I am stressing about it because I just love it so much and want to know it right now. I love Spanish culture and just want to understand everything but I can't right now - haha. Elder Sanchez and Elder Bailey (my trainers) think I am so funny because they know that I want to learn it all in one day but I can't - haha. The members also tell me that it will come and "don't worry be happy" and that my Spanish is good and will just keep improving. So I gotta just stop worrying about the language! Yesterday I read some scriptures about the Spirit and how the Spirit is the teacher and the language of the Spirit is way more important than Spanish in teaching. It brought me so much comfort. The scriptures and prayer really bring so much peace and comfort into our lives. I love it.
 
Yesterday we had a stake priesthood meeting and the whole time I was just thinking how amazing and loving and merciful God is and how much I love Him and how I need to show more love towards Him. I can always work harder and always improve. My goal is to be Christ like everyday and show the love I have for others everyday. One of our lessons we taught to Adriana and Jordan was about Christlike attributes. They are married and Adriana is Catholic and Jordan is a Jehovah Witness. They are kind of like lifetime investigators. They said during the lesson that they felt the Spirit and that they enjoy us coming over so much but they don't want to be baptized yet because they want to know more. I told them that I am still learning and want to know more and I have been a member all my life and that through the gift of the Holy Ghost we can always have the constant companionship of Him and learn more. They liked that but then they said missionaries are pushy and that the Spanish culture here is that they take a lot of time to think about it. I believe her - haha because all of our investigators and are like this. They all progress pretty slowly but I told her that that's ok and that our goal is just to help you and Jordan to come unto Christ and enjoy the blessings that come from doing so. Gosh I love teaching.
 
Oh yeah another thing is that so many people cancel lessons. It is pretty frustrating and Elder Sanchez and Elder Bailey were getting pretty mad and asked me why every one cancel and I just said "agency the wonderful gift of agency". So yeah that night we had 3 lessons planned and they all canceled and then we went to the church and sang Himnos for a bit and it was so awesome. I don't know if I have told yall this but oh my gosh I love music and himnos soooooooo muuuuchhhh. Like if you pay attention to the words and also look at the scriptures that are on the bottom of the page it and know the stories it is just so cool and the Spirit just comes. Like while the Sacrament was being prepared yesterday we sang "I need thee every hour" and I felt the Spirit so much and almost started to cry. That song means so much to me. The youtube video of Sam Robson singing it helped me during tough times and then my district sang it in the MTC on our last Sunday together. So special.
 
Oh yeah! and yesterday we taught primary and it was the highlight of my week. We taught them about the book of Enos which is like my favorite. Well pretty much everything in my book of Mormon is like my favorite haha but yeah and it so funny how they know Spanish and English and they taught me some Spanish. And how they helped me pronounce some words in the scriptures. I was being taught by 5-7 year olds and it was the sweetest thing ever. And they all have so much knowledge!! It was so cool like a couple of them brought up the tree of life and explained it perfectly! How blessed are we!? It is so important to teach children plain and simple and eternal truths. And we need to remember that we are all children. Compared to God we are nothing. Man is nothing. We have so much to learn. I started doing this this week - Everyday when I am getting ready in the morning I look in the mirror and ask myself "will I do my best to grow closer to God and become more like Christ and help other come unto Him? and then the night comes and I am dead tired and I look in the mirror as I am getting ready for bed and ask myself "did I do my best to grow closer to God and become more like Christ and help others come unto Him?" Doing this has helped me so much. I want to invite all of you to do this. I know you all know how to come unto Christ. Do all the Sunday School answers. The basics. Just do it! and with real intent and a sincere heart and big desire to learn more and improve and become more Christlike. Repent. Repent means to change. Repentance is a gift. This gospel is amazing and it changes underline changes/repentance peoples lives and brings us true joy and happiness and peace. God wants us to share it with others. Lets do it!
I love you Dad! Mom! Mason! Chrissy! Landon! and Bryce! also this past week I have started to miss you all more and it is because my love for yall is growing. I already feel like a completely different person since I left. I am sorry for being so annoying and mean to you guys sometimes and want you guys to know that yall are the most important people in my life. And be kind to each other and don't fight :)
 
Elder Proctor

Nice little pond

Soccer Time on P-day!

Elder Sanchez drinks this stuff
I tasted it and it HAS to be a Word of Wisdom Nono....

City lights of Calgary - Pretty