Thursday, June 2, 2016

Week 19 - Calgary

 
Me encanta mi mision. Esto es todo yo puedo decir ‏
 
So much happened this week and I don't know where to start! So this week I went on exchanges with my district leader, Elder Christensen, so I had a full day to see what it is like to be an English speaking missionary. To be honest I didn't like it - haha. I would have never thought that I would have loved Spanish and learning more everyday and messing up everyday and the people so much before my mission, now I do. I love them so much.  Well, I still loved speaking English but Spanish is just so much better haha. During that day we spent 2 hours downtown contacting and it was crazy!! So on the train ride there there was this big white guy listening to music with his headphones and he looked super mad. He was just standing in the middle of the train just kind of bobbing his head and then all of a sudden he screams "what are you looking at!?!?" to this Chinese guy and then it sounded like he said "are you alright?" and then the big white screams "don't tell what to do!!" and then the Chinese guy kept looking at him and told him to calm down and then all of a sudden the big white guy just grabs him by the neck and starts swinging him around!! and then puts him on the wall and screams.. well pretty much all he did was curse. It was crazy and I pressed the emergency button and security came. It was so crazy and I feel so bad for that Chinese man.
 
So after that we went to go share the gospel downtown! It was so amazing because in just 2 hours we got 5 phone numbers and addresses of people who were interested and gave them Book of Mormons! Prayers are answered. If you pray to find the people who are searching for the truth and talk to EVERYONE you will find them. We literally set the goal to talk to everyone and it worked. Now 2 of the companionships in our zone have new investigators. Also even though it was just 5 there were many many people who I could tell were effected by us talking to them. Like one of them was this fairly old man who was smoking and looked kind of sad and then once we started to get to talking to him we figured out that his mom died from cancer when he was younger and that his dad is really sick right now. He had questions like why do awful and terrible sad things happen to people if there is a God and if there is a God why would he let all these awful tragic things happen. He said that there was no God but I think really deep down he was just mad at Him. Then I bore my testimony of the Book of Mormon and shared some of the trials I have been through and how through them I have become so much stronger and have grown closer to God and now I am way more happier than I would be if I had not had those trials happen to me. Because I turned to God and read the scriptures, now I am truly happy. The Book of Mormon answers so many questions that people have. I love chapter 5 of Preach My Gospel so much. I shared a little bit of it with him and then finally he started to lighten up just a little bit and said that he respects us for what we believe in and then we gave him a Book of Mormon and he actually took it! I was sooooo happy. I have so much more to tell you guys but not enough time!!! Every week haha.
 
So Elder Sanchez and I met this family at this wedding reception at the church last Friday and they are from Colombia. Adam is the father Lucina is the mother and Valentina is 18 years old. Btw Spanish people now how to throw a wedding reception and party - haha. Anyways, we sat with them and talked to them all about missionaries and how we are called and about the prophets and we got into the restoration and the gospel too. The whole process is incredible. It was so awesome and then at the end of it all we got there number and address and they said we could come over sometime next week!! So we are getting new investigators! Gosh missionary work is the beeeesssttt!! So this is just like 10% of what happened this week of what I have written so far. Every week, every day, every moment and second I am feeling so happy and it is all because of Jesus Christ. Doctrine and Convenios 6:36. Look unto me in every thought doubt not fear not. Dont fear of messing up or not fitting in or being yourself. Doubt not that you are awesome the way you are. Christ suffered the entirety of the Atonement just for you and He wants you to use it and repent and be baptized and go to the temple and renew your covenants every Sunday by partaking of the sacrament. He wants you to have faith and show it. He wants you to read the scriptures so your questions can be answered and so that you can learn. If you do this you will experience the most sweetest and happiest joy. You will feel the Holy Ghost. Lea el Libro de Mormon y disfruta el gozo que viene y va a sentir el Espiritu.
 
I love y'all so much and am so proud of yall. Dad and mom thank you for your amazing support and prayers and love. Mason it looks like you are having a blast at the MTC teaching those Japanese missionaries. So crazy! Chrissy I bet you are having fun with being a lifeguard and getting tan. I am doing quite the opposite. I am getting fat and whiter - haha. They feed us demasiado here. Landon enjoy playing baseball and sports. You are super good. Bryce keep reading and add the Book of Mormon with your reading! Use that Book of Mormon stories book for kids. I have one in Spanish at my apartment haha it is really cool. I love you all soooooo much and hope y'all are enjoying lake ratliff with the sisters!!!!
 
Attempting to teach Primary Class

Thick and juicy Steaks!

Ground hogs - potguts
Elder Tate
 

No swimming