Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Week 22 - Calgary

 
Yo tengo 19 anos? Yo olvide :P y el Plan de Salvacion y Felicidad :)
 
Alright I am going to jump right in to it! This week was awesome and amazing and the best just like always but I also had the best lesson of my mission so far with Elder Windham teaching our new friend the plan of salvation last Tuesday night. I don't know if you remember but he has been going through family problems and we had our first lesson with him when I was with Elder Sanchez like 3 weeks ago and he cried and as we taught him about Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon and the Atonement he was just taking it all in and thanked us so much for wanting to help him and teaching him. I felt the Spirit so much during that lesson.  After that we could not get a hold of him for a while but then finally we get a hold of him and we get a text from him that says "Hola hermano, disculpa que no he respondido. Anoche murio mi hermana y su hijo. Hoy voy a tratar de ver a mi hija. Manana estaria bien." When I first read this I had just went to go check the phone because we were playing basketball last pday and I was like nooooooooo am I reading this wrong?? and my heart started to sink and felt soooo sad and I was like nope... :( it says  "sorry that I have not responded. Last night my sister and her son died. Today I am going to try to see my daughter. Tomorrow will be fine."    Gosh I can not imagine. Things like this that happen, the only answer to why, is the gospel of Jesus Christ and the plan of salvation. So then we send him a text and also call him that night and learn that his sister and his nephew died in a car accident in Nicaragua. Then we just try to do our best to say we are so sorry and we are here for you and to help and comfort you anyway we can and everything. So hard. And then we had the lesson the next night. Elder Windham and I get to his apartment building and we call him and then he lets us in. Then we sit and we can already see that his eyes are watery and we ask him how are you doing and he says fine and we ask him are you sure and he says yes and then we say "really how are you doing?" and then he gives us the whole story of everything. How he moved here from South America because of family problems and how he and his wife had a son and moved here and now she doesn't want to be with him and he said he feels like she just wanted him so she could move here and live in Canada and just used him. So now he lives alone and then his sister and his nephew die which he said he was the closet to die in the car accident and while he is telling us all of this he is just crying and tears are just falling. He asks why does this have to happen to me and why am I being punished for nothing and why would God kill my sister and her baby. After he shared all of this with us and I didn't understand a lot of it but I just started to immediately bare my testimony and share my story of experiencing the West Nile Virus and anxiety and depression disorders and having so many questions like his of why would God let this happen to me and why is it so hard and why does God want me to suffer and then I testified of how all of my questions were answered through the Book of Mormon and reading, studying, and praying about it and feeling Gods love for me and feeling the Holy Spirit. Then being able to go to church again and get my life back because of the strength that God gave me through the Book of Mormon and learning of His Son Jesus Christ. I was crying too. There is no doubt in my mind that the gift of tongues is real and true because I know that I could not explain my story as well as I did at my level of speaking Spanish without God's help. The more I am able to share my testimony and my story the more grateful I become for the super hard things we go through this life like cancer, sickness, death, things that we do not cause upon ourselves because of sin. We are able to feel for each other and help each other because of the things we go through. So then after that Elder Windham shared how he has had family problems in his family and his parents were divorced just before he left on his mission. He said it was a good thing in the end though. His dad struggled and did not live the gospel very well. It is absolutely amazing how much living the gospel changes your life and the lives around you soooo much. Agh I wish I had more time to write all of this story. I am not a good writer either. I feel like Nephi right now when he wrote 2 Nefi 33:1-2. I just pray you can feel the Spirit as you are reading my words. Anyways we testified this to Marlon and he took it all in and we taught him the plan of salvation and he took it all in also. My favorite scriptures that we shared with him was Alma 13:3 and how that we choose to follow Jesus Christ before the world was and had faith in Him and trusted Him that He would be our Savior and make it possible for us to return to Heavenly Father and experience and have what He has. He thought this was super interesting and he loved it. Then some of 2 Nefi 2. There is opposition in all things and this life is all about choices and helping each other and to become like God who is full of love and mercy and knowledge. Then we shared with him the Spirit world and the resurrection and the 3 degrees of glory and how all of this is made possible by Jesus Christ. Without Christ and His atonement this life and everything we experience would be pointless and be a waste. But because Christ lives we can live too. We promised that he would see his sister and his nephew again no matter what and that they would live again and be resurrected no matter what because they choose to have faith in Christ before this life and choose to come here. The more and more we taught him the more I could see hope in his face and in his eyes. It was so sweet. The gospel gives us hope. Then I started talking about faith, repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. Then I asked him "Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and live His gospel?" He was nodding his head and said "Si" and I asked him "Not right at this moment but in the near future will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized?" and he was still nodding his head and said "Si" and then we promised him that the pain and sadness that he is feeling now will be replaced with comfort and joy if he follows Jesus Christ. IT WAS SOOOOOO GREEAAAT!! :))) I truly love missionary work and preaching the gospel in the Spanish language. It is the most satisfying and fun and joyful thing to do. It makes me so happy. I have only been on the earth for 19 years now and have experienced a lot but I know that I still have so much more ahead of me. I am so excited for the future and if we live the gospel and are consistently improving and learning and repenting and becoming more like Christ, then the future is going to truly awesome and amazing. 
 
I love yall!!!!!!!!!!!!! and am so happy that yall are enjoying the summer and going to all these camps and stuff!!!!!!! Sounds super fun and awesome! Cant believe its the end of another email. Next week will be here just like that. 
 
Key is on the inside . . .

Gravy Fries and curds . . . whaaa?

Downtown Calgary - Beautiful!!

Rut row!