Thursday, October 27, 2016

Week 38 - Calgary


Muchas experiencias misionales y mucho éxito :)

This past week started off super strong. So last week when we were helping out at the food bank like we always do on Wednesdays, Elder Tate  was helping this one family who have only been here for 10 days!! They are from Venezuela and don't know English so Elder Tate asked the dad if we could help him with English and also share the gospel with him. He said yes!  He was so grateful. Also he needed help getting his food to his house because they couldn't take it all on the bus so we put their food in our trunk and dropped it off at the house they were staying at later that day. They all thanked us so much. Then 5 days later we go to their new nice little house to give him a list of jobs the church had posted up on the wall because he needs a job and then we would share a message. As we got to talking it turns out that they are refugees and he sold everything they had in Venezuela to make it here to Canada. Listening to how rough it is in Venezuela right now and some of the things he and his family have gone through was really humbling. Really hit me hard on how great a country Canada is and how blessed I am to be here. Then we shared a scripture on Jesus Christ and explained how even the Son of God was once a refugee and how the sacrifice He made for us blesses us so much and because He has been through it, He really knows the best way to help us overcome our trials. Juan 16:33 "Estas cosas os he hablado para que en mí tengáis paz. En el mundo tendréis aflicción. Pero confiad; yo he vencido al mundo." I really love this scripture and as I have been studying the New Testament I have been truly so amazed at the miracles and the teachings of Jesus Christ and how simple it is. We just go to Him. He solves everything. I told Hermano Volcán(the dad) this and he agreed 100% and accepted to take the lessons. Then he and his wife thanked us so much for everything we had done for them and pointed to all their food and said that's all because of you and said that this house is your house and told us really how welcomed we are. It was so nice and I really felt so happy that we have been able to help them. So yeah that's just one short version of the story and I still have like 4 more to tell!!

It is so awesome how many wonderful and miraculous things happen when you are serving God. It is the best thing you can do to fix your own problems and feel better. Forget about yourself and go to work and as you help others and love them then you will start to see that God blesses you by making you stronger. God might not make your problems or trials easier but He will give you His strength as you pray for it and forget about yourself and serve others. So I have time for 2 more stories. First was with the family Linares. They are really awesome but struggle some with the gospel. The dad is from El Salvador and the mom is Canadian. They have 7 kids! Some of them are young and while we were there they were running around playing and being crazy. It made me miss my family and being little and having so much energy and fun doing whatever. I really love kids (yesterday was the primary program at church and WOW! Incredible. An when they sang "Mi Padre Celestial Me Ama" I teared up. I love that song. Then Hermano Alvarez shared 3 Nephi 17, read it! It really shows the love that Jesus Christ has for kids) So Sister Linares has been struggling a lot with anxiety and depression and raising the kids so I talked with her a lot about my mom and how great she is and the similar struggles she has and then I shared some of my story with West Nile and anxiety and depression and how because of my mom I was able to have so much help to overcome my anxiety and depression. So I know that Sister Linares will be able to overcome it and be able to help her kids maybe one day and others. I really am so happy that I have learned and experienced this point. With the trials and problems and stresses we have to go through in life we are given the chance to turn to Christ and we are able to have that experience to help others and invite them to do the same, turn to Jesus Christ. So I have learned to realize that I still will have joy and happiness through any and every problem and trial I will have in my life because I can live the gospel and follow Christ. Juan 16:33 "Estas cosas os he hablado para que en mí tengáis paz. En el mundo tendréis aflicción. Pero confiad; yo he vencido al mundo." Jesus Christ has experienced and has overcome it all. What really blows my mind is how He was willing to suffer everything and also the penalties of sin for each of us even though He has never done anything wrong. I am now starting to realize how great the condescension of God really was. His love for us is something that I really want. I have a long ways to go and a lot more to learn though. So yeah sharing that with Sister and Hermano Linares and some of their kids was really awesome. I look forward to having a family one day and putting all of what I have learned here into practice. Living the gospel in your home is so important. I love the quote by President Harold B. Lee, he said, "The most important of the Lords work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own homes." I have seen this so much in my mission. Well I am about out of time but I want y'all to know that I love y'all and love being here serving in Calgary. I know that God has called me here and to learn the gospel and share it in Spanish and I really do love it. There is no other thing in the world I would rather be doing. The Lords work is the best work and gives you the most fulfilling and everlasting joy. 

So this time I do have my camera! So here come some pics!

-3 degrees - oh yeah!

Vin del mar

I'm in the car, and I'm singing!!!