Friday, January 20, 2017

Week 52 - Calgary (dad must be off a couple of weeks...)


I can't believe I will hit my year mark this week!!!!

So yesterday was definitely one of the most memorable days of my mission! It was fast and testimony meeting Sunday and this past week all of our lessons were pretty much all about fasting and prayer. Fasting and prayers are incredible!! Who knew right?? haha of course it works wonders. This week I have learned so much on how fasting and prayer go hand and hand. I have learned it all from Preach My Gospel and then applying what I learn into the lesson and then hearing all the amazing stories and miracles members have experienced and seen and then asking investigators to put it to the test and seeing it work is the coolest thing ever! And when they do not do it, well nothing really happens. So we have finally started to have consistent lessons again with Carmen and Jorge and we taught them all about fasting and prayer and what we usually do every first Sunday of the month. They loved it and it was so cool because we have to fast and prayer with a purpose and guess what!? Omaira, the daughter of Carmen and Jorge, she is due with her 2nd child for January 20th!! Sooo crazy hearing that date January 20th, 2017. So we all decided to fast and pray that all goes well because this is Omairas first time having a baby here in Canada. She has a 3 year old boy who was born in Venezuela, super funny and he loves Spiderman,  but yeah they all moved here just about one year ago in February of last year. Another thing is its super crazy hearing all the stories that members and all the Spanish people here have with being immigrants or refugees. Anyways the lesson was awesome and they also fasted to know if this is the right path to take with reading and praying about the Book of Mormon and coming to our church. They said they want to learn more now before getting baptized. I believe that they will be baptized soon. They are definitely progressing fast and the members are helping them out.

Alright so I do not have much more time because Elder Sorvari and I have to clean our car and also our pad(apartment) today because we have house inspections and also car inspections tomorrow. So I will share all what happened yesterday and then... dang I forgot my camera cord.. Oh well. Yesterday was incredible. So sacrament meeting starts and then all of us missionaries get super excited and happy because each one of our investigators came to church which hardly ever happens. So we had a lot of investigators at church. And it was awesome because la familia Penagos was there! They were investigators I had in the beginning of my mission. I am able to understand them so well now!! haha and then 2 new families have moved in from Mexico and then some less actives that we work with also came to too and they have committed to come to church all this year, probably partly because church now starts at 1:00 in the afternoon instead of 9:00 in the morning but thats ok haha. So this was the first time ever that I have seen all the sacrament meeting room filled in the branch. So the meeting starts and President Lichfield, our stake president is there along with one of his counselors and I was hmmm that's interesting. Then President Lichfield gets up for some announcements and then he says "I am pleased to announce that under the direction of the First Presidency and their approval, the Elbow River Branch.. will now be the Elbow River Ward." And then you could just feel in the room the excitement and the Spirit and happiness of everyone. I looked around and I see everyone else looking around and smiling and wow it was so cool!! Then after the Sacrament was passed everyone bore their testimonies on how much growth they have seen in the Elbow River branch, now Elbow River Ward and how important missionary work is and testifying of the gospel of Jesus Christ and to testify that Heavenly Father loves us and has restored His gospel through His prophet Jose Smith. It was soooo incredible and I really felt just so accomplished because I am able to understand them so well now and I have really gotten to know them since I have been here since like March 2nd. Then I started to think, I have come a long way but I also have so much more to learn and really its just the start. There will always be more to improve on and to get better at and to progress in the gospel. We can always live it better. We have a perfect example to follow, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It can be a hard process to become like Him and to live the gospel and to lay aside some of the things in the world, but I have found that with prayer and fasting and studying and understanding the scriptures, Jesus Christ makes it easier on us and He makes it possible and within our reach to find true happiness in this life and to eventually live with our Father in heaven again. All we have to do is accept His invitation to come unto Him and to take His hand and He will make the journey easier on us28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30. I love all the symbolism in the gospel. Just think of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the scars in Jesus Christ hands and feet. In Isaiah Jesus Christ says "Behold I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands," so as we take His hand of help, He knows us perfectly and loves us perfectly and knows how to help us perfectly and if we have our foundation of our life built on Him, we cannot fall. Helaman 5:12. Satan will have no power over us, because he has no power over Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. Alright I gotta get going now but I gotta let yall know that I love all!!! And Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love all too and if you don't know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love you, then put the gospel to the test, put the Book of Mormon to the test and I promise you, you will know. Tengo que despedirme ahora! Les quiero! Hasta la proxima semana!! 


Love Elder Proctor



He forgot his picture cord, so no picts this week :(