Thursday, February 23, 2017

Week 57 - Calgary


Feliz Dia de las Familias!!
 
Estoy aqui de regreso otra vez! Wow this week has been really crazy. Some sad things have happened but also some great things have happened. I'll start off with the sad so we can end on a happy note and also I don't have time to write a lot because it's family day so there's a ton of missionaries here because the libraries are closed. Alright so first I will start off with René. So these past couple of weeks we haven't had much contact with him because he went to live in the north of Calgary with his brother for some time because him and his daughter kept getting into fights because she is still having problems with drugs and drinking and doesn't want to stop with her friends. She has tried to stop and has gone to rehab a couple of times but always gets back into it. So René left for some time and then this past Thursday we get a text from him saying that he misses us and that he failed. Then we call him and he sounded just like he did when he first miraculously called us and asked for help like back in August. He was super sad and said he is back to where he was at in the beginning and his whole life is this cycle of him making wrong decisions and ruining his life. Immediately Elder Sorvari and I started to talk to him and cheer him up and explain how much Heavenly Father loves us and He will never give up on us so we can't ever give up on him and we always have to try to repent because that is what God wants. If we stop trying then we will just be sad and not fix anything. Then René kept saying that he knows what the bible says and that he failed to repent. We told him no and then he said he just wants us to be there with hi and talk with him. So we called Elder Tate and Elder Nuttall who are in the north of Calgary and they went over. We also let Obispo Jaco and Hermano Ruiz know and now we are trying to help him start addiction recovery program that the church has. So keep René in your prayers.
 
Well I am kind of running out of time so I will share a good story. This week I believe that Elder Sorvari and I have stepped it up and have been working even harder because this is his last transfer and we really want to finish strong. So we contacted almost all the less actives there are in our ward and had a couple of lessons with them and a couple of them didn't answer the door but what was super cool was that there were soooo many people at church yesterday! Like more than I have even seen and some of the less actives we visited that didn't answer just showed up and we were able to talk to them and set things up. So awesome and it is amazing how true that principal in Preach My Gospel is "No Effort is Wasted." Sometimes during the week it is possible that we will get down but always remember that you are doing a lot better than you think you are, especially if you are trying your best to live the gospel. You might not see the blessings right away but the blessings are huge. I really love Sunday's so much now. They are the greatest because you can always relax a bit and take in what the Spirit wants you to know. This week I really started to understand how God feels when we choose not to follow Him and how the scriptures say that he feels sorrowful but yet He is in heaven and has eternal happiness. How can you be sad and eternally happy at the same time? But when I was praying for René this Sunday I believe I felt some of what God feels when we are going through something really hard that we put on ourselves. I still felt that deep joy that the gospel brings but I felt sorrowful for what René is going through. It was an amazing experience and it really goes to show you that we dot understand everything or know everything in the gospel of in the scriptures yet. The most important thing to know is that God loves you and to really understand that and what that means. René said that God still Ioves him so that made me really happy and I know that with the gospel his family can be fixed and he will be happy. I know that God loves us even if we don't realize it or don't understand it, if we live the gospel and exercise faith and really have true intention, then we will really start to understand how much God loves us and how it works. We will understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how it works. This week I studied these 2 scriptures Ether 12:27And if men come unto me will show unto them their weaknessgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will make weak things become strong unto them."
and 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weaknessMost gladly therefore will rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 Therefore take pleasure in infirmitiesin reproaches, in necessities, in persecutionsin distresses for Christ’s sake: for when am weakthen am strong. "  It is so amazing how this process works of understanding Gods love for us, understanding Jesus Christ Atonement and His grace. Well I am about out of time but still have a lot of pics to send! I love y'all a ton and I know that God loves you, He has blessed us so much with our family and I hope y'all have an awesome family home evening tonight and learn something and have fun :)) LOS QUIERO!!! Hasta la próxima semana. El tiempo sigue volando " 
 
Love, Elder Proctor